For more than 200 years, there has been Methodist activity in Fredericksburg. As early as 1801, the congregation had erected its first building, a frame structure on George Street, and in April 1802, received the appointment of its pastor. After a tenuous existence for its first twenty years, the small congregation began to grow. This change was due in large measure to the leadership of John Kobler and his wife, Mary, who moved to Fredericksburg from Culpeper in the early 1820’s. In 1841, the growing congregation moved to Hanover Street and constructed a new brick church. It was used until 1862 when it was extensively damaged during the battles of the Civil War, which raged in and about the city.
In 1848, the congregation split over the slavery issue and a group left to form a new church which became part of the newly formed Methodist Episcopal Church South. At the close of the war, the two congregation became united once again as a charge of the Washington District, Baltimore Conference, Methodist Episcopal Church South. They worshipped in the new building at the corner of George and Charles Streets, which somehow had escaped serious war damage.
However, this building was too small and in 1882, being pressed for room, they tore down the damaged brick church on Hanover Street and constructed on its site a new brick building. This building with its later additions is still being used today. As the city grew and prospered into the twentieth century, the church grew with it and served as the host for three annual conferences. In 1963, it became the first Methodist Church in Virginia in contemporary time to become integrated.
Major renovations were made in 1950, 1988 and 2008. Fredericksburg United Methodist Church today is a large church with 2500 members. We would like to invite you to join us in the many worship, fellowship, mission, children, youth, and growth opportunities available at Fredericksburg United Methodist Church.